Sorry I forgot to post Jonathan’s announcement of our proposed tasks for the Saturday session but here is what we actually did:
Fifteen volunteers attended the monthly Saturday volunteering session on a lovely spring morning.
- The shed roof was weeded, particularly of sycamore saplings
- Benches were trimmed of invasive vegetation in the Orchard, down the Pads footpath and along the Fauna path.
- Keith began the summer pruning of the fruit trees, assisted byStuart.
- The new saplings we planted this winter were trimmed round to increase their light and prevent envelopment:
- Along the Pads footpath
- Up the new hedge in Pony Wood
- In the new extension on the East side of Pony Wood.
- Along the southern hedge boundary of the Flora Field
- The new gorse in Pony Wood was also trimmed although it’s not looking too strong at the moment.
- We made a valiant effort to identify the patches of Spanish Bluebells which the wildflower surveyor had informed us of but without success. We need greater expertise to identify them for removal.