Here is Jonathan’s message
There’ll be a volunteer session at Fairfield Orchard, Fauna and Flora this
Saturday morning, May 13th, commencing at 10.00am and continuing until
1.00pm, or thereabouts.
Your presence will always be welcome.
On the agenda for this time:
* Strengthen the bund around Alder Pond, making good some cow damage.
* Clear overgrowing vegetation around the soft fruit circle.
* If necessary, trim back along the Pads footpath to keep open for
* Check over saplings in Pony Wood and extension. Any which are dead make
a note of the species and mark the spot for replacement next winter.
* Plant woodland and meadow plants donated by Fiona Sturgess.
* Plant out purple ramping fumitory from Keith in the wildflower plot.
* Sow wildflower seed from Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust in the
* Cut back the trees growing by the road in Aldcliffe Road.
* Remove the self seeded willows growing adjacent to Flora Ponds.
* Remove the self seeded birch in Upper Sowerholme and the Hay Meadow wet
* Trim back around the shallow bank edges of ponds and scrapes to increase
* Block the access near Lucy Brook where the cattle are getting in to the
* Move the fallen wall stones from the Towneley entrance to a secure
Meanwhile in scything news, we have just one place left on the Scything
Course to be held on June 17th and 18th. If you’re interested please
contact Ian on firstname.lastname@example.org or phone him on 07811 970
And that’s about it for now,