I was away this week and didn’t get the chance to post Jonathan’s message. Here is what we actually did:
The monthly Saturday morning work session attracted 11 volunteers on a bright morning. The session was curtailed as the volunteers joined other Fairfield well-wishers for the official opening of the Pony Wood path at 12 noon.
Before then we
- Sowed a wildflower mix gathered from the Reserve and other local areas over the summer in the wildflower bed at Howson’s gate.
- The seed included some gathered from the purple-ramping fumitory discovered in the Flora Field margin. Three patches of this seed were sown at the Eastern boundary of the wildflower patch.
- We had some of the bee-friendly seed mix left over so this was sown in the Southern margin of Flora Field.
- A start was made trimming the Pads footpath / Flora Field hedge.
- The table and refreshment were barrowed to the top of the Pony Wood path where the opening event was to take place. Notices were posted and after the event everything was carted back!