Here is Jonathan’s message
Great joy! The first of our summer evening volunteer sessions will take place on Wednesday April 30th, starting at 6.30pm.
We’ll meet, as always, at the Storage Building.
Those with hectic lives, jobs, family responsibilities or an aversion to getting out of bed before 6.30pm are more than welcome to come along a little later if that is more convenient.
Our list of jobs includes:
* Mow the grass
* Explore the drainage problem in the Flora West field (at least one fairly deep hole required)
* Sowing bee friendly seed at various places around the reserve
* Scythe and / or strim the area between the Orchard path and the newly laid Pads hedge
* Finish clearing brambles enveloping hedge saplings between the Fauna path and the Grammar School field
* Position logs in Pony Wood for use as seating
* Stake the larger saplings planted in Pony Wood and the Extension
* Make further adjustments to the pedestrian gate at the ‘treble gates’ to improve its working
* Repair the broken rail at the cattle crossing
* Retrieve further redundant spirals and canes from the Pads footpath
Also worth mentioning is that the gate to both the Paddock and the ex-Gleeson’s field will be open on the evening for wood collection.
If you’re relatively new to the Fairfield volunteering cause and enjoy a sociable tipple, you may be pleased to hear it’s the custom to head off for a post-match drink after our summer evening sessions. We tend to go to the Merchants, although other pubs are available.
So if that sounds like your kind of thing, bring a little pocket money and a check with your mum that it’s ok to stay out a bit late on a school night.