Another very wet tramp through the marshes this morning. A total of 37 snipe flushed, one of them a jack. Breakdown was 1 in Hay Meadow, I in Upper Sowerholme, 3 in School Pond and 32 in Big Meadow. There was a water rail calling in Upper Sowerholme, and a rodent scurrying amongst the Big Meadow rush (possibly a field vole). Also noted were 4 meadow pipits amongst the reeds in Upper Sowerholme and another two in School Pond, along with a wren. Earlier in the morning Graham had seen three herons on Willow Pond (Lower Sowerholme) and a cock and two hen pheasants in Flora Field.
Month: November 2019
Volunteering Saturday 9th November 2019
Here is Jonathan’s message
There will be a volunteer session at Fairfield Orchard, Fauna and Flora
this Saturday, November 9th, starting at 10.00am and finishing at 1.00pm
If you’re able to attend you can look forward to the following…
* We will start with the annual review of first aid equipment and
arrangements for volunteering sessions.
* We will be trimming the hedge around the electricity sub-station
adjacent to the playground.
* We will test the cleaning material we have acquired to clean mould from
the marquee canvas.
* We continue with the laying of the hedge between the Pads footpath and
the former NACRO section of Flora Field.
* And last but not least, we continue the trimming of the hedge between
the Pads footpath and West Field.
It’s all going on!