Here is Jonathan’s message@
There’ll be a volunteer session at Fairfield Orchard, Fauna and Flora this
Saturday, September 10th, starting at 10.00am and finishing at around
The session will be led on this occasion by Mick Short who is more than
On the agenda:
Weed and tidy the wildflower plot, trimming back the overhanging grass.
(N.B. the four plants that flowered this summer were all annuals and will
have shed seed. Hopefully if we give them a chance by keeping the
competition at bay they will come again.)
Cut back and dig out the bramble overhanging the Fauna path.
Cut back and dig out the bramble overhanging in Carr House Meadow (between
the Meadow and the Gun Range).
The vista viewpoints opposite the Orchard benches have been cut back but
need lowering a little more.
The Alder Pond bund needs strengthening especially on its western end.
Cut back self seeded saplings throughout the Orchard.
And that’s your lot for now,
One thought on “Volunteer session Saturday 10th September 2016”
Here’s what we did
The monthly Saturday morning session was led by Mick as Ian participated in a course in Woodland Management. 15 volunteers attended.
• The Alder Pond bund was strengthened.
• The wildflower bed was weeded although needs it more work
• Bramble was cut back and dug out along the Fauna path.
• Bramble was cut back and dug out along the hedge between Carr House Meadow and the Gunrange.
• Bramble and nettle was cleared from around the Orchard north end noticeboard and adjoining hedge.
• Work continued to lower the hedges to allow the vista from the Orchard benches.
• Work continued pruning the fruit trees.
• A start was made cutting back self seeding saplings in the Orchard.