Some of the wildlife I photographed on a visit to the Orchard on Friday.
Month: July 2013
Eels in alder pond
There appear to be two eels in the remnants of the water in Alder pond. Although we had rain yesterday and more is forecast there is very little there. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be done?
In Flower in the Orchard
A walk around the Orchard and Pads footpath this afternoon and noted the following in flower:
Honeysuckle, red dead nettle, great rosebay, herb robert, cranes bill, nipple wort, angelica, bramble, common vetch, brown knapweed, burdock, meadowsweet, loosestrife, self heal (over the fence in the Big Meadow), chamomile, greater plantain, foxglove, cow parsley, ragwort, red campion.
Volunteer session 13th July 2013
Only five volunteers attended the monthly volunteer session on a hot and sunny morning.
- We mowed all the grass paths in the Orchard.
- We strimmed the area in front of the fruit hedge to allow access to the fruit bushes.
- We also strimmed around the log slices as a party of children are coming next week.
- Graffiti was sanded from a bench on the Fauna path but unfortunately the battery ran out before the job was complete. I hope this means it was not fully charged but we will have to experiment.
- Overhanging branches were pruned back on the lane to Edenbreck Cottage and throughout the Orchard
- Grass around the stumps was trimmed.
- Ragwort was g dug out from the Paddock, not nearly as much as I had hoped.
So a productive morning despite shortage of people.
Ken’s little helpers
Hay time in the new field
Great to hear that the Dagonfly are around hoping to photograph some tomorrow when I visit the area.. great photo of the Linnet by the way….
Linnet and Housemartins
Here be dragons
In dragonfly news: there was a black-tailed skimmer on the reserve today and a brown hawker was hunting around the Orchard.